The Oni is a samurai Killer that was added to Dead by Daylight alongside his Survivor, Yui Kimura, in December 2019. He is the very first Killer to have a familial relationship with another Killer - The Spirit. The Oni is a fast, mobile Killer that gets more and more powerful the more Survivors stay hurt. He uses two weapons: his Katana and his Kanabo.
But what makes The Oni an effective and brutal Killer in Dead by Daylight, and what’s the best way to use his power, perks, and add-ons? Well, this guide will answer all that, as well as give you some tips and tricks to try out, too.
Dead By Daylight The Oni perks
The Oni has three unique perks that can be unlocked for other Killers via the Bloodweb.
You’re able to see the Auras of Breakable Walls, Pallets and Vaults within 24/28/32 metres of you.
When a Survivor is put on a Hook, all Injured Survivors suffer from the Haemorrhage status effect until fully Healed, and also suffer from the Exhausted status effect, too.
When a Survivor stuns you using a Pallet or Locker, they become your new Obsession and you see their Aura for 4 seconds. They are also affected with the Blindness status effect.
What is the best build and perks for The Oni?
We would go with the following perks for the best possible build for The Oni:
BBQ & Chilli (The Cannibal Perk)
A deep bond with The Entity unlocks potential in one's Aura-reading ability. After hooking a Survivor, all other Survivors' Auras are revealed to you for 4 seconds when they are farther than 40 metres from the Hook. Each time a Survivor is hooked for the first time, gain a stack-able 25% bonus to all Bloodpoint gains, up to a maximum of several percent.
Infectious Fright (The Plague Perk)
The cries of the unfaithful make your heart leap.
Whenever a Survivor is put into the Dying State by any means, all other Survivors within your Terror Radius will scream and reveal their current location to you for several seconds.
Corrupt Intervention (The Plague Perk)
At the start of the Trial, the 3 Generators located farthest from you are blocked by The Entity for several seconds.
Monitor & Abuse (The Doctor Perk)
Meticulous in your approach, terrifying in your application. Your base Terror Radius is increased by 8 metres.
Whenever you are outside of a Chase, your Terror Radius is reduced by 16 metres while your Field of View is increased by 3/5/10°.
Dead By Daylight The Oni powers
The Oni’s power is called Yamaoka’s Wrath. Described as a power to destroy other’s bloodlines, Yamaoka’s Wrath allows you to absorb Blood Orbs left by Injured Survivors. When absorbed, it fills up your Power gauge and once full, lets you activate Blood Fury.
Blood Fury is a state that causes The Oni to scream (which is heard by all Survivors across the map) and take out his Kanabo. The base amount of time this state remains active is 44 seconds.
With Blood Fury active, The Oni can use two abilities: Demon Dash and Demon Strike. With Demon Dash, The Oni dash forward at incredible speeds, allowing The Oni to cover large distances rapidly. As for the Demon Strike, this ability allows players to charge their attack and do a lengthy lunge to instantly down a Survivor, regardless if they are Healthy or Injured.
Best add-ons for the Oni in Dead By Daylight
The Oni has some incredibly powerful add-ons that not only make his power last longer, but can also help him track Injured Survivors with ease - making him a great Killer for snowballing and getting Survivors down with ease. Even if you’re not a Killer main, these add-ons are useful to know so you can plan against them as a Survivor.
This add-on considerably increases the duration of Blood Fury, meaning that you have a much longer time in your power and so have more of a chance to find Survivors (with tracking perks if necessary).
Considerably decreases the cooldown for you to use your Demon Dash. It may not seem like much, but this is a particularly strong add-on that feels like it cuts the charge-up time for the ability in half. It gives you the mobility and speed to catch up to Survivors and give them a BAM BAM for their trouble.
Tear Soaked Tenugui
Massively reduces the Blood Fury duration penalty when downing a Survivor. This is particularly useful if you pair it with another add-on that increases the duration of your Bloody Fury in the first place. This gives you more time and space to combine the two add-ons to release holy hell on your prey.
Renjiro’s Bloody Glove
This is a particularly nutty add-on as it allows all Survivors to see the Blood Orbs they leave behind, but a Survivor’s Aura is revealed for 2 seconds whenever they come into contact with the Blood Orb. For maximum effect, we recommend not using your power if you’re going to use this add-on. You’ll be able to see Survivors aura’s much more often if you do and almost constantly know where they are once you’ve got them injured.
Dead By Daylight The Oni tips and tricks
- Infectious Fright is a must on The Oni if you want to go for a snowball build. Once you get one Survivor down with your Demon Strike, Demon Dash to the nearest Survivor that screamed and knock them down for the count, too. And if you get lucky enough to hear another Survivor scream, you can do it all over again.
- Sloppy Butcher is a must for The Oni as it makes Survivors bleed more, and as such, gives you more Blood Orbs for you to absorb and charge your Power to use against others. Particularly useful if you’re using the add-on Renjiro’s Bloody Glove.
- Renjiro’s Bloody Glove is a great add-on that punishes Survivors a lot. However, because the best way to use it is to negate The Oni’s power, then we suggest an add-on like Play With Your Food to help improve The Oni’s movement speed.
- When you pick up a Survivor while your Blood Fury is activated, it automatically cancels itself, so only pick up a Survivor if you want to preserve some of your power. Alternatively, pick up a Survivor, and you’ll move past the fatigue state that happens once The Oni uses all his power.
- Demon Strike has a longer lunge attack than a normal Basic Attack, so don’t be afraid to lunge at a Window even if you don’t think you’re going to hit. You’ll often be surprised at the result.
- Unlike The Hillbilly and The Demogorgon, The Oni does not get stunned when he uses his Demon Dash and hits objects like walls or even Vaults. So don’t be afraid to twist and turn around them to get the best use of his ability, even if turning those tight corners can be difficult.
That's all you need to know about the best The Oni builds in Dead by Daylight. Be sure to check back regularly to see how your build could be improved. In the meantime, check out the killers we wish to see in Dead by Daylight soon, or some games like DBD for when you need a break.